Central Texas Spring-O, Sat Oct 31, 2020
Spring Orienteering Meet for Scouts @ Lost Pines Scout Reservation
8/3/20 update: event moved to 10/31/20
3/26/20: Coronavirus postponed event, next available is Aug 29, 2020, hope to see yo there!
3/16/20: given CDC guidance to limit gatherings to 50 people, we are working on moving the date of this event. We will send email to registered participants soon.
ALL Scouts, ALL Ages are welcome. Scouters can run the courses as well! Early bird registration fee until midnight Aug 17th.
- Photos: 2019, 2018
- Order T-shirts by 8/17/2020
- Fun Orienteering Meet for SCOUTS
- Join the mail list here for updates.
- Come as an individual, or a small group or the whole Troop/Pack/Crew!
- Choose from three course difficulties : beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate
- Night-O course (after dark race against the clock to find reflective markers)
- Orienteering Merit Badge Clinic
- Beginner Instruction
- Look at the Participant Guide for details
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ATXorienteering/
- Flyer to share with your scouts, here and Top 10 reasons to go Orienteering, here
Preliminary Event Schedule:
7:45am Morning Flags (optional for campers or early participants)
8:00am – 10:30am Check-in (get your event patch, punch card, and start-time) @ TBD
9:00am – 10:30am BSA Scout Merit Badge Clinic Part 1 (Campsite TBD)
10:00am – 10:30am Beginner Instruction (Campsite TBD)
10:45am 1st Start-time; ALL COURSES OPEN
— Lunch (on your own)
2:00pm Courses Closed
— All Orienteers should be checked in to FINISH or HQ by 2:30pm —
2:00pm Spring-O Awards @ START Area
2:30-4:30pm BSA Scout Merit Badge Clinic Part 2 and Relay Orienteering
5:00pm Evening Flags
— Dinner (on your own)
7:45pm Assemble for Night-O (at START AREA)
8:00pm – 8:45pm Night-O (Score-O)
The main event is the Spring O Point-to-Point orienteering race during the day (see below). The Night-O is added for extra fun for Orienteers that stay later and to help Scouts get in another course toward their Orienteering Merit Badge.
Learn more about Orienteering and other local events @ Austin Orienteering Club: http://austinoc.com/Orienteering
Answers to FAQs (if you read the participant guide, it should answer most of your questions)
- Who is invited? All Scouts and Youth Organizations.
- How old do you have to be? This event is for all scouts, all ages. Adults can compete too! 10 and under must be on the course with an adult. 6 and under are free (adult still must register)
- Do i need special instruction or skills to do this? No. if you can use a map to find the bathroom at the Zoo, you can navigate the beginners course. There is a beginners clinic at the event as well as a Merit Badge for BSA-Scouts.
- Camping is OPTIONAL. If you’re not camping, just be sure to get here before check-in closes at 10:30am to get your start time and punch card. You can leave when you are done with the course, and/or stay for Awards, and/or stay for the Night-O. 50% of participants typically just come for the day.
- There is no food service. There will be water available to fill your own bottles but you need to come prepared with your own food and/or snacks.
- What is a Point-to-Point? (sometimes called “Cross Country” An Orienteering event where 8-12 control points must be navigated to (in order) and punch-card punched to show evidence that you found each point. Our Spring-O courses will range from 1.5 to 3.5 miles. You can go at your own pace just for fun, or run as fast as you can and compete for the best time in your class (and a medal or ribbon to prove it!)
- What is a Score-O? An Orienteering event where participants search for as many control points as they can (worth varying points) within a time limit. Participants should consider the point value and think about how they can maximize their points in the short time-frame. Our Score-O will be 45 minutes.
- What is Rec? Rec is Recreational class/category for participants who are not competing. You are timed but not eligible for a medal. If you want to run in a group of more than 2, you are in the REC category.