Central Texas Spring-O, Sat March 24, 2018
Spring Orienteering Meet at Camp Tahuaya
ALL Boy Scouts, Venture Scouts & Webelos are welcome. Scouters can run the courses as well!
- Fun Orienteering Meet
- Choose from three course difficulties: beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate courses
- Orienteering Merit Badge Clinic
- Beginner Instruction that includes some Navigation advancement requirements for Webelos and Venturers
Preliminary Event Schedule:
7:00am – 9:00am Check-in (get your map, event patch and start-time)
9:00am – 11:00am Merit Badge Clinic and Venturer/Webelos Instruction (location)
10:00am – 10:30am Beginner Instruction (location)
11:00am – 2:00pm Lunch (on your own)
12:00pm Spring-O (Cross Country) – 1st Start time
5:30pm Dinner (on your own)
7:30pm Assemble for Night-O
8:00pm – 8:45pm Night-O (Score-O)
This is preliminary and will likely see some changes as we approach the event date.
The main event is the Spring O Cross Country during the day (see below). The Night-O is added for extra fun for Orienteers that stay later and to help Scouts get in another Course toward their Orienteering Merit Badge.
Learn more about Orienteering and other local events: http://austinoc.com/Orienteering
Answers to FAQs
- Who is invited? ANY and ALL Boy Scouts, Venture Scouts and Webelos.
- Camping is optional, click here to learn about some camping options in the area.
- There is no food service. There will be water available to fill your own bottles but you need to come prepared with your own food and/or snacks.
- What is a Cross Country? An Orienteering event where 8-12 control points must be navigated to (in order) and punchcard punched to show evidence that you found each point. Our 2018 Spring-O courses will range from 1 to 2.5 miles. You can go at your own pace just for fun, or run as fast as you can and compete for the best time in your class (and a medal to prove it!)
- What is a Score-O? An Orienteering event where participants search for as many control points as they can (worth varying points) within a time limit. Participants should consider the point value and think about how they can maximize their points in the short timeframe. Our Score-O will be 45 minutes.